Monday, March 19, 2012

Easy Peasy Toddler Food: "Pizza"

Getting my son to eat is sometimes super hard. I don't know why they are born with an aversion for vegetables, or turn their nose up at protein packed chicken, but he sometimes just won't eat! Drives me crazy! Luckily there are a couple of tastes that he loves that I can fall back on: cheesy, tomato saucy and cereal. We are going to focus on the first two - cheesy and tomato saucy.

This is a super easy and really flexible recipe. I'm hesitant to even call it a recipe since its basically three food items. It's not fancy and I doubt I'm the first to do it, but sometimes this simple stuff gets overlooked.

Easy Peasy Toddler Food: "Pizza"

Two slices of bread - any bread! I'm using soft and smooth whole wheat
Tomato sauce - pizza sauce, spaghetti sauce, left over sauce from the pasta the night before. I'm using some pizza sauce I had.
Cheese - any cheese! I happen to have some mozzarella but I've even used sliced cheddar and Greyson likes it all the same.
Optional: Vegetables - I hide spinach under the cheese a lot, though I didn't do it this time. Use zucchini or bell peppers or whatever you'd like. But tomato sauce could be enough veggies.
Optional: Meat - I didn't use meat this time but some ground beef might be a nice touch.

Preheat oven or toaster oven to 350 degrees F

Then assemble your pizzas. Here are some helpful pictures in case you get lost ;)




Either place the pizzas on a cookie sheet or you can place them directly on the oven rack. Bake for about 10 minutes at 350 or until the cheese is melted and the bread is a little toasted.

 Tip: I like to cool them on a wire rack because the bread will sweat some as it cools (steam) and can make the bread soggy if it's cooled on a solid surface. No big deal if you don't have a wire rack, at least cool the pizzas on some paper towels or a clean dish towel.

and then you get happy kids :)


Christal

1 comment:

Total Pageviews